Beans & Budgets

I ran into an interesting problem yesterday.
One of my resolutions this year is to cook once a week.
That sounds pitiful, even to me, because I grew up in a household
where there was a home-cooked meal EVERY night.
I mean, going out to eat was a treat!
I distinctly remember us going to Furr's on a weeknight once,
and I just thought I would die happy after that meal!
I mean, my Mom made food WAY better than anything you could find at
Furr's, but just the thrill of eating out...
Anyway, since I am less than thrilled about cooking,
I decided to set my sights low and just do it once a week,which is pretty manageable.
Last night I decided on Mexican Stack-Up,
(just about the easiest dinner you could ever make)
but I had no beans.
I really didn't know what to do.
I asked Matt, "Do they sell regular canned beans?"
I tell you, I have NEVER seen canned pinto beans before!
For the entirety of my life, my mother has cooked her own beans in a crock pot,
canned them, and had them ready in the pantry whenever she needed them.
I literally didn't know how else to go about making beans!
Well, I felt like such a traitor for buying canned beans;
therefore, I will have my mother come to my house in the near
future and teach me this bean-canning business.
 
On a sidenote, Matt & I are die-hard Dave Ramsey envelope followers.
Well, I was for a year, and then when we got married,
and Matt had no choice but to follow.
We are on what you would call the "tight budget" this month
in order to crack down on this school loan business.
Law School is great and all, but holy cow, they're proud of the education they provide!
My clothes budget has significantly decreased so much so 
that I had a dream last night about finding this super great deal at a local boutique.
I woke up so excited about my finds, only to be crushed 
with the reality of how little I actually have left for clothes this month...
I might've already dipped into that envelope on December 31st.
Besides my disappointment in not being able to buy clothes I don't need,
we were able to pay off a solid chunk of debt this month:
Praise the Lord!

Happy Weekend, dear followers!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Talking to a Pregnant Woman

First Blog Ever!!!!!!!!

Official Proposal Story!!!