The Art of Talking to a Pregnant Woman

I have previously written about peoples' funny comments to me
which I thought were endearing and quirky so far.
This last week, some of those comments crossed into the
"that's none of your business" category.
Pre-pregnancy I never posted one picture or video of what I do at CrossFit.
Frankly, it's awkward to me to ask my coach,
"Can you video me making funny faces and grunting while lifting this man wight? Thanks."
But since I'm still lifting and doing CF during my pregnancy,
I am proud of myself and wanted to show "the world" (i.e. Facebook)
what it looks like for a pregnant woman to do CF.
(b/c it's becoming more and more comical)
With my first video, I had all positive comments.
Lots of women my age really wish they would've continued working out
during their pregnancy and vow to do so the next time around.
Lots of women were so sick, they couldn't even think of working out.
Since I've had such a heavenly pregnancy, I've continued what I was doing,
but have modified mostly everything.
When I posted my second video, suddenly all the experts came out of the wood works.
And the most surprising was that they weren't all women!!
I had comments of concern,
(my mother begs me to stop doing CF daily)
comments of encouragement,
(mostly my age or fellow CFitters)
and comments of downright rudeness.

Something I'd like to point out when you're commenting or speaking to a pregnant woman:

1. Unless she is a delinquent whom you've seen drinking and or abusing her body while pregnant, she probably is the most concerned about her baby than any other person in the world. By saying things like, 
"Is that safe?" or "should you be doing that?"
you're kinda questioning her rationale and decision-making ability.
As for me, I know that EVERYTHING I've done since becoming pregnant has run through the mental
filter of "how does this affect the baby?"
That especially goes for my work out decisions.
I work out b/c I feel great. B/c it energizes me. B/c it keeps me from gaining all the pounds Fruit Loops wants to add to my butt. And b/c I was previously doing it.
2. If you wouldn't say it to an extremely obese pregnant woman, don't say it to a fit one.
You would NEVER say to the former,
"Man, you sure are sitting around a lot. Shouldn't you go take a walk?"
So, if that's not acceptable, why is,
"You shouldn't be lifting those wights. That's not good for the baby."
Filter, people!!!
3. Anything regarding her size unless it's,
"Your baby bump is adorable!"
I have heard that, and I love that compliment.
I love my baby bump.
I love that it started popping out earlier than anyone else I know (10 weeks)!
I love looking down at it.
And I love more than anything what it's there for.

My Dr. mentioned yesterday that when people say unpleasant things to you regarding your pregnancy, 
just think of it as a badly wrapped gift.
Their intentions are well, they just wrapped it up wrong.
So, while a lot of comments irk me, I will try my hardest to
see the gift inside instead of the paper bag it's wrapped in.
Now, a charge to those of you who aren't pregnant:
Just filter.
That's all I can say.
Our hormones are bouncing off the walls,
and our poor husbands have to hear all about your rude comments at home
when we aren't witty enough to spat back to you what we really think about what you just said.
Go tell a pregnant woman how beautiful and glowing she is today!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Blog Ever!!!!!!!!

Official Proposal Story!!!