Mama Bear at Her Finest

One thing I have become acutely aware of since finding out I was pregnant
is a little thing called 
PROTECTIVENESS.
Now, we can be protective of our family and spouses,
but ultimately, if they are adults, they can take care of themselves
and we often just have to give any worry we have for them over to the Lord so we don't go crazy.
Now, protectiveness for one's child, I have found, is completely different
and no doubt it will only amplify over time.
When I first found out I was pregnant, I was around 5 weeks along
and Matt & I were driving back from the lake.
We hit the eye of a vicious thunderstorm just outside of Lubbock.
Now, I'm used to thunderstorms and driving in them.
This was different.
It caused us to pull to the side of the highway, narrowly missing the ditch to our right,
and hoping we weren't hitting the car in front of us who had also pulled over.
The rain was torrential to where we couldn't see a thing,
and then the dreaded hail on metal started.
If you haven't experiences driving in hail, it is truly one of my most hated things.
I instantly called my parents, crying, and asked them to pray.
My Dad got on speaker phone as I put it up to Matt's ear
and started claiming protection over our car and our baby.
I just sat there crying and crying and praying that we would be safe.
As the storm cleared (right around the time Dad finished praying),
we pulled back onto the highway and I couldn't stop crying.
I realized I had been so fearful for the safety of my child.
I didn't care what was happening to our car or even for our own safety,
but I was overwhelmed with this sudden need to protect my baby
in whatever way I could.

The second time I experiences this, I was running in one of my WODs.
(workout of the day)
I had previously tripped while running several months ago and scraped my knee pretty bad.
Now, I am NOT a clumsy person, but that should've been the first sign I was pregnant
b/c it ended up being that I was a couple weeks along when I first fell.
And when you're pregnant, your center of gravity shifts.
So, last week, I was running again and I had already theorized that if I were to fall
I needed to twist so that my stomach wouldn't take the brunt of the fall.
As I was distractedly talking to a friend, I tripped again.
I instantly remembered to twist in the air so my shoulder hit and nothing else.
Of course, everyone was super worried, but I really was fine
and even e-mailed my Dr. who confirmed I should be fine.
But you know how fast a fall can happen, and I still had the 
instant realization of what was happening and what I needed to do to protect my baby.
I love how the Lord has placed this instinct in me.
I love that my thoughts are shifting from me, me, me, Matt, me
to baby, me, baby, stomach, food, baby...
12 weeks-13 weeks-14 weeks



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Talking to a Pregnant Woman

First Blog Ever!!!!!!!!

Piercings, Puppies and Push-Ups