Jack's Birth Story-Complete & Unabridged

Going Home
It was 2:15 on Wednesday, January 28th, 2015.
The sun was shining, I was wearing flip-flops, and running errands for work.
It was the last day of work before Matt forced me to take off.
The induction was set for Friday and by the way thngs were looking, 
Jack was not coming out on his own.
While I had really hoped I would go into labor on my own, 
all my walking, bouncing, pineapple eating, salsa-chugging efforts were going nowhere.
This was to be the first deviation from my birth plan.

I'm on 19th St. and decide Cinnabon sounds amazing.
And so does Schlotsky's!
So, I make a detour to grab lunch.
As I walk out, I think to myself,
"I wonder what would happen if my water broke right here in front of all these people."
But that wouldn't happen because only 8% of womens' water breaks on its own.
The movies have led us astray yet again!!
So, I'm opening the door to my car and there is a release within me.
While it felt like I had peed myself, I knew I didn't have to go to the bathroom.
I also knew that this "release" was coming from elsewhere...
I think, "Is this really happening?! Did my water just break?!"
As I got into my car, the "release" continued.
I could feel it soaking my leggings but I was afraid to look down.

My next words to my husband on the phone were,
"Babe, yeah so I think my water just broke. It keeps coming and is soaking my leggings."

Three generations
"What?! Are you sure? Oh my gosh! OK. OK, I'll see you at home! Agh, we're gonna have a baby!"

Next, I call my Dr who advises me to head to the hospital.
Drs are ssooo smart!

Then, I call my Mom, text my sisters-in-law, text my brothers, call my Dad...
all while driving down Marsha Sharp will amniotic fluid pooling in my seat.
I'm already such a responsible mother!

Matt's at home gathering things for the hospital when I walk in, give him a hug, and ask if he's ready to meet his son today.
Tears, tears, tears, and God laughed.
Further deviation from my birth plan was about to ensue.
Matt texted my doula, Pauline, asking if I could eat my lunch.
She insisted that I do.
Then he asked, per my request, if I could take a shower.
She said yes as long as I was at the hospital within an hour.
So, I wash my hair because there was no way i was going to be in all those pictures with dirty hair!
And as I'm getting ready being much more calm than Matt, I have to change my
panties three times even with a pad!
We finally get everything loaded and notify the familial entourage that it is unnecessary
for them to make a beeline to the hospital.

Matt, of course, drove too fast to the hospital as I ate my sandwich.
When we did arrive at the entrance, he ran a red light and went to the wrong one!
We maze through the parking lot which has 20 spots for
volunteers but not one for expecting mothers!!
We take a picture in front of the doors because why not?!
Matt remembers my medical records in the car, so he goes back to get them.
As he's coming back,  the wind catches them and blows them across the parking lot.
And as he's chasing after them, his brand new iPhone falls out of his case and cracks all the corners.
It was sad but makes for a great addition to the story!
My Mom arrives minutes after we do and they take me back to triage.
The nurse was trying to determine if my water had really broke which I thought was pretty silly.
But seriously, she had to do 3 different tests before finally confirming that I was correct.
Apparently, the tear was at the top of my uterus. That's why it was a slow leak and harder to find.
I was going to be really embarrassed if I had told the whole family I was in labor when I had really just peed my pants!

So, they admit me and the fun begins.
There's a nurse change during this time and they start to hook up my iv.
The first one was burning and barely dripping, so they try the left hand.
That one missed the vein and started filling my wrist with fluid.
The third one filled my entire hand with fluid and it swelled super big.
Finally, the charge nurse comes in and does one correctly.
Those dang failed IV attempts caused bruising and annoying pain for at least a week!
As we sit there waiting, I'm not having any contractions and my room is starting to fill with family members. I told them it would probably take a while, but they were so excited, they came anyway.
At one point, the nurse pointed out that i was indeed having contractions,
so then I became aware of the very mild pressure they produced.
Between the mild contractions and laughter in the room, I figured this labor thing wasn't so bad!
As the hours progressed, my cervix was not.
They administered Pitocin around 9PM.
At the same time, they asked if I wanted my epidural as well.
Against the wise advice of all my SILs, I decided I wanted to "feel" a few contractions first.
After all, they assured me that the anesthesiologist was just next door and there were only 3 other ladies in labor so far.
As the Pitocin started to take effect, my doula started coaching me through the contractions.
Suddenly, I wasn't laughing anymore!
As everyone kept talking in the room, my doula, Pauline, could tell that i was getting frustrated.
I think she then asked everyone to leave the room.
This would be the first of many times she would read my mind that night.
As the contractions became much stronger, I figured I had proved myself as a woman and would take the drugs now.
But no one came.
And about 30 min later, my nurse informed me there were a few stupid guys in trauma, so all of the anesthesiologists had to tend to them first.
I really tried to get their names so I could give them a piece of my mind after this was over!
Especially when I found out it was 2 guys who had shot each other in the arms but told the Drs that they had been trying to catch a baby through a broken window.
Really?!
90 agonizing minutes later, the backup anesthesiologist arrived.
I was in considerable discomfort at this point and she could tell.
It took a while for her to set everything up and administer it especially since we would have to wait for the contractions to pass every few minutes.
She said she was giving me an extra dose of good stuff since I had to wait so long.
I figured she told everyone that but whatever she gave me started working fast!
I didn't even feel pressure from the contractions.
I felt nothing, and it was glorious!
They increased my pitocin to 4 at this point and encouraged me to rest.
My dear husband fell asleep in the chair and my dad slept on the pull-out bed.
My Mom stayed up with Pauline the majority of the night.
Pauline would get me ice chips, popsicles and alcohol swabs to sniff when I got nauseous.
Even with another of her patients next door, she spent the majority of time in our room.
I cannot speak highly enough of her.
She was so knowledgeable, funny, and selfless.
We made a dear friend that night.

Around 2AM, although I was dilated to a 9.5 and was 95% effaced, Jacks's head was in the wrong position and I wasn't progressing.
They switched my positions constantly which was comical since i couldn't feel the bottom half of my body. Pauline started talking to me about c-sections.
They usually let you labor 18 hours before C-sections are considered.
That's when i started getting worried.
My pregnancy had been picture-perfect and Jack was always in the right position.
I did NOT want to have a c-section.
His very first picture.
Talk about not being in my birth plan!
I think somewhere in there, they increased my Pitocin to 6.
In my hopelessness, I called out to my prayer warriors on FB.
I knew there were so many people excited to meet Jack, and I could trust them to lift us up when we most needed it.
It wasn't but a few minutes after I posted that that Matt opened the blinds to the most beautiful sunrise. I could feel the Lord saying this was the day my son would be born, and it would be naturally.  I cried at this promise, and at 7AM there was another shift change.
That's when my second angel, JJ, walked in.
She had 3 kids and had been a nurse for 18 years.
She checked me just like everyone else had.
I should've just left my legs in the stirrups with the amount of people that kept checking me!
Before the epidural, I remember one nurse checking me and I told her,
"You might as well stick the rest of your fist up there!"
Then, JJ said the magic words,
"You ready to push?'
Once again, let me reiterate how very much this was NOT like the movies.
I started pushing at 8AM.
Matt would count to 10 VERY slowly as I pushed, I would breathe then we would do it gain.
3 times per contraction.
I even told Matt to count faster but was told he was doing it right.
Each of those 10 seconds felt like a lifetime!
Pauline would tell me how to push and not to strain my face so much.
My eyes were closed for each push because I was pretty sure my eyes would pop out if I opened them. since I couldn't feel the contractions, JJ would have to tell me when one was coming.
And this went on and on and on.
After an hour and a half, my Dr showed up, sat at the end of my bed, and camped out.
TMI, but she would "massage" my nether regions and kept trying to change the position of Jack's head.
Matt later informed me that as he was holding my left leg, he had a peripheral view of what was gonig on "down there", so he kept his left eye closed the whole 2.5 hours I was pushing!! HA!!!
Pauline was holding my right leg, JJ was feeling my stomach for contractions, Mom was patting my head and praying, and Dr. Devine was at the center of the action.
I remember them carrying on conversations about Metallica & Ozzy Osborne and just laughing and laughing while I was thinking, "Is it really necessary to be in such a good mood while I'm dying over here?!"
At one point, the Dr mentioned how much hair Jack had and I was amazed that she could see it! Then they asked if I wanted to feel Jack's head to which I was unsure, but Pauline grabbed my hand, and I got to touch the top of his head! I cried, and it definitely gave me a boost to keep pushing! I remember somewhere in there having a breakdown and feeling like I couldn't go on anymore, but Pauline literally told me to stop crying and keep going. That I just had a little more to go.
During another long stretch of pushing, JJ started getting the bed ready for Jack, and Pauline would point out to me what they were doing to give me more motivation.
So, at 10:25AM, Dr. Devine asked if I'd like an episiotomy b/c it would most definitely speed things up. I said I didn't know! I just really didn't want one if I didn't have to. She looked at Matt who said he thought I had a few more pushes in me. It was around this time that I felt a strong pressure, and at 10:32AM, my sweet Jack finally made his appearance!
8 lbs. 7 oz. - 21" long - 14.5" head!!!
They put him on my stomach while they VERY quickly patted him down with a towel and sucked out his mouth and nose. He wasn't crying at first but it didn't take long to hear that beautiful scream!
I pulled him onto my chest and let him lay on me for a long time while Mom & Matt cried and stared at him. I cried and cried mostly out of relief that it was over and that he was perfect. My SILs mentioned later that Mom made her way into the hallway where they were waiting and collapsed from exhaustion and relief. She is such a trooper and so selfless for not even wanting me to see her cry in the room!

Honestly, I wrote most of this the week after Jack was born but am just now finishing it so the next few days at the hospital are a bit of a blur. It still amazes me that I birthed a baby and that his big 'ole head actually came out naturally!! The other very amazing thing is how soon I forgot about the pain. I mean, I really feel like I could do it all over again right now!

After that experience, I feel so empowered as a mother and as a woman. Childbirth really is the most divine and amazing thing. I say it all the time, but I simply don't understand how people can go through that and still doubt the existence of God!!








Ride Home









The two Grandmothers






Dr. Devine!!


My Aunt Lisa




First Bath





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Talking to a Pregnant Woman

First Blog Ever!!!!!!!!

Official Proposal Story!!!